The Royal London Hospital – Barts Health NHS Trust
Co-creating value for the NHS
We co-created an iOS app for KCH and The Royal London Hospital (Barts) Gastroenterology Departments for the Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) condition. The two trusts are teaching hospitals and are two of the busiest in the UK. The app was designed with the whole nation in mind, co-creating and testing it with gastroenterologist consultants at the two trusts prior to rolling it out to Gastroenterology departments across 100 trusts in the UK.
“People are mobile and professionals in healthcare are going around from room to room and hospital to hospital. It’s not like they sit in one place. Technologies are catching up to the needs.”
Co-Creation in Healthcare
To truly innovate in the mobile healthcare space, we need to combine cutting-edge technical expertise with the medical industry nous of consultants who are at the front-line of patient care. This is exactly what we worked with the consultants at KCH and Barts to achieve, after their extensive market research found the existing IBD platforms to be lacking. The consultants understand exactly what patients and doctors require from these platforms, and we understand how to use technology to deliver a standout user experience.
IBD Care enables patient care and engagement to thrive beyond the walls of the hospital. Our secure, robust and user-friendly app:
- Facilitates secure communication between doctors and patients
- Supports learning by enabling patients to find out more about their condition, hospital and doctors
- Enables fast, secure appointment booking with reminders and notifications
- Facilitates self-reporting with in-app PROM questionnaires that allow patients to easily and securely update their care team on their symptoms.
- Eases a bulk of the care team’s administrative burden
- Guides patients to their appointments with an internal hospital mapping tool.
We designed the app with a robust backend to enable national roll-out and support hospitals in tailoring the platform for their own patients and specific needs.
“The use of value co-creation in health care involves embedding the approach across the whole healthcare system — from the microsystem level to the mesosystem and the entire macrosystem.”